Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pergola Party

This past Saturday my good neighbors, faithful home teachers, and kind family helped me finish a project I've been putting off for a couple of years...they helped me put up a pergola in my back yard.

The word "pergola" isn't familiar to many people, so first I'll post a photo of the finished product, so you'll know what I'm talking about. (And, I just realized that I've been mis-pronouncing the word....it's not per-GO-la, but PER-guh-la).



I am so appreciative to all the people who helped!!
From left to right, there's
  • me,
  • Pete and Lee Skolmoski (who live across the street and are the best neighbors I've ever had--they are always looking out for me. Their wife/mother Danielle is taking the photo),
  • McKay, Spencer, and John Downs. John is one of my home teachers and also a great scout leader to my nephew Parker. McKay and Spencer are in the Sunday School class I teach, and always know the answers and are helpful and respectful to all in the class.
  • Steve Baldridge, the one holding the level, is my other faithful home teacher. Steve was the driving force behind actually getting this project done. I mentioned it to him a few months ago, and he took the responsibility to organize a crew and get the work done...I was the one dragging my feet!
  • Tracy and Parker Schofield, my sister and her son. Tracy took the initiative to plan and cook a beautiful breakfast for all the people who came to help.
  • Suzy and Rick Dooley, my sister and her husband, who live nearby with their three daughters. Suzy, Rick, and Tracy helped me slowly assemble the pergola piece by piece over the past few years, until we got stuck at the step that required 8 people to place the top on the pillars.

I also owe gratitute to LaVon Driggs, who borrowed a truck to help me haul the pergola from Costco to my house when I bought it a few years ago.

Here are a few more photos from the day.

Here's a photo of my neice Mallory (seated, Tracy's daughter), with Anna, Lily Beth, and Debbie (Suzy's daughters).


Here's Parker and McKay showing off their "gravel slinging" skills:



Here are my faithful home teachers:


Here are the wives of my faithful home teachers:


Here's Steve, Pete, and Tracy, planning how we were going to do this.


Thanks to everone who helped! Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with this area. I've thought of growing grapes over the pergola, or maybe roses. Or making a rock garden. Or, painting the cinderblock fence with a garden scene of a fountain and potted plants and putting a few real potted plants around. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

sillybobs said...

I like the rose idea. I guess fall is the perfect time to be planting too. :)

Laurie said...

Cindy,

I love the painted cinder blocks idea--perhaps difficult to find someone with the skill to do it, but very low maintenance afterwards! I have a lady close by who has grapes on hers. It provides wonderful shade--she does get a little overwhelmed with all the grapes when they are ripe (so I take some off her hand!). They are super easy to juice and can if you want to preserve them that way (not that preserving is your thing right now, but just so you know!)