Saturday, April 18, 2009

Murray Library Boyfriend

One of the best parts of living in Murray, Utah is being able to see a library employee named Danny each time you visit the city library.

If you are lucky, Danny will be sitting at the front-most circulation desk when you come through the door. He’s the young man who will say “Heeeey! You’re back!” and give you a big smile and nod as you walk through the door.

Sometimes, when people are really friendly like that, it can be easy to misinterpret their friendliness.

My sister Suzy was 8-months pregnant and had two toddlers in tow when she first met Danny, and he was incredibly friendly with her, impressively flipping the library books in an artistic manner as he checked them out to her. Suzy wasn’t sure if he was trying to hit on her or not, but thought “Isn’t it obvious that I’m in a relationship?”

But, as she chatted with other young mothers who go to the library frequently, she realized that Danny is friendly to all. One of Suzy’s young mother friends likes to say “I have to go to the library today so I can see my boyfriend there”.

I love people who are friendly like that, especially when you realize that they aren’t trying to hit on you.

I tend to be a friendly person too, and my intentions are sometimes misunderstood.

When I worked at the Church Office Building, I often warmly greeted the cafeteria employees there. One day, when I greeted one of the young men behind the sandwich counter, he said to me:

“I’m off the market”.
“Huh?” I replied.
“I’M OFF THE MARKET!” he spoke loudly.
“Market?” I asked, still confused.
“I’M ENGAGED!” he said with frustration.
“Oh! Wow! Congratulations!” I replied enthusiastically. Then I realized that he’d interpreted my friendliness differently than I had intended it. Ooops!

I’ve been on both sides of that mistake.

Anyway, I happened to see Danny at the library last night, and interacting with him was so much fun that it made me smile for about 30 minutes afterwards.

So, I thought I’d blog about him. If any of you happen to visit Murray, you’ll definitely want to include a stop at the library to see our collective boyfriend Danny, who, if you are lucky, will be waiting there for you.

Danny, thank you for raising the happiness level in Murray, one “Heeey! You’re back!” at a time!

7 comments:

Lori said...

Everyone needs a Danny! I love people like that. No wonder I like YOU so much. Friendly people are fabulous!!

sillybobs said...

I was just going to say the same thing so... Yah, ditto what Lori said. :)

HW said...

I think enthusiasm is often underrated. I'm with you. Bring it on!

Paige said...

I've tried gloomy. Later I tried cheerful. The latter is more fun.

Grandma Kate said...

Great story, thanks for posting that. I'm going to make sure I start becoming a regular at the library - sometimes you just need a Danny to make your day.

kj said...

One more thing on my must-do list for things in SLC. What a fun post!

Paige said...

I'm ready to read more . . . hint hint.