Monday, May 31, 2010

City of Rocks

Bowl of pancake batter in hand, I peeked into the kitchen at the Almo Outpost Steakhouse to ask if they'd mind cooking our pancakes on their stovetop, since our kitchenette next door only had a microwave. Almo Idaho, population 140, is in the middle of nowhere, so we didn't have many other options.

"I'm too busy to cook your pancakes, but you can come back here and cook them yourself!" the 50-ish lady told me as she placed a heavy cast iron pan on the stove. She reached for one of the 20 plastic bottles of melted butter she kept above the stove, squeezed a generous amount of butter into the pan, handed me a spatula, and suddenly I was having my first experience as a short order cook.

I enjoyed visiting with the lady as we cooked. She was good at multi-tasking, and fast, even using a pair of scissors to cut the toast, explaining that it was faster than cutting with a knife. She lives about 15 miles south of Almo, just over the Utah border.

My friends Dori, Brittney, and Melissa loved the pancakes; they were the best I'd ever cooked. (The butter helped, I'm sure!) The four of us were staying in Almo because of its location at the entrance to the City of Rocks National Reserve. Actually, to be precise, only Dori and I were staying at the comfortable and beautifully decorated Almo Inn, which looked all cute and quaint, like this:



Brittney and Melissa preferred to camp inside City of Rocks, rather than stay at the Inn. Here we are setting up their tent:


Who needs tools when you've got rocks?


Within a few yards of their campsite were all sorts of amazing things, like this ledge:



And a spot for meditation:


And holes big enough for three people to fit within:


City of Rocks is a mecca for technical rock climbers. I'm too chicken to be a rock climber, but wanted visit there because it's mentioned in the US & Canada version of the "1000 Places to See Before You Die" book. When Brittney mentioned her rock climbing class while she, her mom Dori, and I were walking in our neighborhood a few months ago, I was excited to see if they wanted to plan a trip together. Brittney brought along her wonderful friend Melissa, who has taken several climbing classes too.

Here we are in front of Dori's pickup truck, ready to leave Salt Lake City. Since none of the roads at City of Rocks are paved, we were happy to have a truck:


Here's a photo of us "bouldering", or climbing on rocks without gear.


Melissa is especially good at it, reaching the top of this place called Elephant Rock.


Here's Melissa with rubber rock climbing shoes in her right hand, with their pointed toes so she can hang onto narrow cracks in the rock with them:


Here she is with more of her climbing gear:


Here she is, climbing:


Here's Brittney climbing:


Here's Melissa, squeezing through a little cave:


Here we are, studying the best route up the "swiss cheese" climb.


Dori and I didn't climb, but enjoyed hiking through the area. We saw cool trees growing out of rocks, like this one:



And rocks precariously balanced, like this one:


And cool wavy rocks, like this one:



And arches, like this one:


Here I am taking a photo of water cascading down rocks:


We saw lots of amazing technical rock climbers:




We had a great time saying "Breaker Breaker" and any other radio lingo we could think of over our walkie talkies:


And showing each other our talents. Here's a little video of Dori making bird sounds:
video

And Brittney making a throat sound:
video

And me showing my talent for smiling cheesy smiles:


It was a fun place to spend Memorial Day with friends!


21 comments:

淑娟 said...

It is no use crying over spilt milk..................................................................

茹順茹順 said...

nice to know you, and glad to find such a good artical!......................................................................

于庭 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

HW said...

This looks so cool. I think you look great and I admire your diversity of experiences and people you are collecting. I love you!

雲亨雲亨雲亨 said...

向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。............................................................

Lori said...

I can't believe I missed a post!! I love this trip. You girls know how to have fun. I think I would have stayed in the hotel too. I'm a wus that way. Looks like another successful adventure!!

Lori said...

I can't believe I missed a post!! I love this trip. You girls know how to have fun. I think I would have stayed in the hotel too. I'm a wus that way. Looks like another successful adventure!!

芳容222許林堅林芳容儀 said...

One swallow does not make a summer.............................................................

宥妃宥妃 said...

感謝你的分享 要繼續發表好文章喔..................................................................

淑娟淑娟 said...

期待你的下次更新喔^____^..................................................................

楊儀卉 said...

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour. ............................................................

佳皓佳皓 said...

喜歡你的部落格,留言請您繼續加油..................................................................

思恬 said...

當最困難的時候,也就是離成功不遠的時候。..................................................

蕙王帆蕙王帆蕙王帆 said...

上班很累,摸個魚輕輕鬆鬆的逛部落..................................................................

馬志榮惠玲成 said...

人類的聰明,並非以經驗為依歸,而是以接受經驗的行程為依歸。..................................................

家唐銘 said...

不會從失敗中找尋教訓的人,成功之路是遙遠的。.................................................

張忠張鴻水玉 said...

Make hay while the sun shines...................................................

偉曹琬 said...

愛情是盲目的,但婚姻恢復了它的視力。..................................................................

威吳隆威吳隆威吳隆威吳隆 said...

happy to read~ thank you!............................................................

淑君韓淑君韓淑君韓 said...

我們必須先有哭泣,才有歡笑;也必須先感到人生的悲哀,然後才感到人生的快樂。.................................................... ............

牧宇 said...

用心經營的blog~您的部落格文章真棒!!..................................................................