Saturday, January 10, 2015

My favorite bus driver

"Buenos días, mi amor" (Good morning sweetheart) Don Luis said to me when I hopped on his bus for my 25-minute ride to school yesterday morning.


Ever since the first day I climbed on the bus with my host mom to learn the way to school, Don Luis has been winking at me.  Maybe because I smile at him like I'm really happy to see him, which I am.  He's "gente buena" (good people) my host mom called him, and I've found that to be true.  He knows where we're supposed to get on and off the bus, and helps us when we look confused and are not moving when we need to be.

On the first day of school, my host mom took the bus with us in the morning, and then came down to the school to help us return in the evening.  We were running late and I was afraid we'd miss the bus, but my host mom just called Don Luis on her cell phone and told him where we were.  "Let's meet in front of the church!" she and Don Luis decided as we walked as fast as we could, and he invented a stop in front of the church, just for us, that day.



He's offering a limited bus service right now, with only 3 trips in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, because the University of Costa Rica is closed for the holidays until February, but normally he drives the bus all day long, 6:30 in the morning till 8:30 at night, every weekday. I love hardworking, good-hearted people like him!

No comments: